Because it is unfinished (like others in l’Empordà), the Church of Sant Genís features a singular uncovered bell tower.
The first mention of a church in Torroella de Montgrí dates from 1209, although a Romanesque church likely existed in the town before then. The dilapidated state of the building prompted the construction of a new cathedral-style church began in the early 14th century. Sober and austere yet bold and grandiose in size, construction on this Catalan Gothic building would last for over 400 years, when a new church was finally consecrated on 3rd May 1609. Wars, plagues, and economic difficulties postponed the construction of the main façade until the 18th and 19th centuries.